Personal Injury Claims
Road Accidents
Work Accidents
Industrial Disease
Fatal Accidents / Inquests
Slips, Trips, Falls
Holiday Accidents
Hair Damage
Sporting Accidents
Head & Brain Injuries
Catastophic Injuries
Harrassment & Stress
Injuries from Animals
Defective Premises
Product Liability
Medical Negligence
Hosiptal Claims
Dental Negligence
Cosmetic Surgery
Mistreatment in Care Homes

home pageabout blvpersonal injurymedical negligencecontact us

Defective Premises

Do you rent a property from a Landlord?

Did you know you have rights in accordance with the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985?

These include:

The exterior of the property including the gutters, drains and external pipes should be kept in repair
Installations for water, gas, electricity and sanitation should be kept in repair and in working order
The property itself should be kept in repair
The Landlord should carry out all necessary repairs (once told of them)

In addition you and your visitors have further rights in accordance with the Defective Premises Act 1972

The rights under the above Act cover not only the persons who are tenants but also any other person who might be affected by any defects at or in the property including visitors.

Examples of cases

Damp and mould which may cause an injury such as chest infection
Tripping hazards such as broken paving, fencing, walls
Internal hazards such as damaged or broken floor boards, windows, electrical installations, woodwork
Broken gutters, drains and pipes
Broken or defective sinks, baths and toilets
Lack of upkeep of exterior and structure of the property
Failing to carry out repairs properly or at all

If you have suffered ongoing lack of repairs and defects that have not been remedied or you may even have suffered personal injuries then you may have a claim for compensation.

Environment Protection Act 1990

If your property is subject to mould growth or dampness then you be able to issue a complaint against your Landlord in the Magistrates Court

First a letter before action will need to be sent requiring the Landlord to undertake the works within 21 days

If the Landlord does not carry out the works then you can issue the complaint at the Magistrates Court.

You may also be entitled to compensation against the Landlord if he does not carry out the works.

How can we help?

Our experienced and friendly Solicitors will discuss your claim with you and advise you if you have a claim. We are very experienced in dealing with these types of claims and are dedicated to fighting for the best result for you.

What can I claim for?

You can make the Landlord put your property in a fit and habitable condition and carry out any necessary repairs. You may be to compensation for the loss of enjoyment of your property if the repairs are substantial. You may also be entitled to compensation if you have suffered an injury or illness due to living at the property.

You can also claim for any financial losses such as loss of earnings, medical and travelling expenses and in some cases the cost of alternative accommodation if you have to move out of the property due to its condition or whilst it is being repaired.

What should I do now?

Contact one of our Specialist Solicitors for FAST FRIENDLY AND FREE ADVICE.

We promise to return your call WITHIN ONE HOUR. We can call you at any time to suit and can visit you at home or your work place and out of hours.

Got a question? - See our FAQ Section here

No win, No fee with BLV - For friendly & free legal advice

BLV Law based in Stourport, Worcestershire / Halesowen and West Bromwich, West Midlands (Binnion Lindsay Veal Solicitors)
can help you with accident / personal injury and compensation claims including the following:

Car accident claim | Work accident claim | Road accident claim | Motorbike accident claim | Slip injury claim | Trip injury claim |
Head injury claim | Spinal injury claim | Whiplash injury claim | Pedestrian injury claim | Passenger injury claim
Traffic accident claim | Medical Negligence claim | Hair Damage claim | Sports accident claim | Industrial disease claim
Deafness claim | Asbestosis | Vibration tool injury claim | Negligence | Fatal accident claim

© Copyright BLV Law 2012 | Disclaimer| Complaints